Verbum Dei Jesuit Credo
Verbum Dei Jesuit High School's singular objective is to be the best college preparatory school in Los Angeles. To do this, each action we take as an institution must be squarely aimed at supporting the personal growth and development of Verbum Dei students to equip them with the knowledge, skills, and confidence needed to achieve their full potential.
To achieve our objective, every aspect of Verbum Dei Jesuit must be focused on collaboration, teamwork, transparency, programming, and accountability. Our goals will be ambitious - borderline audacious - to ensure we stretch ourselves as an institution to continually strive for excellence.
Verbum Dei Jesuit is unique. Our entire student body is comprised of students from supportive families of limited resources. Each student is provided with opportunities to expand their minds and to develop their character both on-campus through the hard work of our talented faculty and staff and off-campus through our Corporate Work Study Program and community service. Combining these characteristics with the rigor of a Jesuit education truly distinguishes Verbum Dei's mission.
We hope you will join Verbum Dei Jesuit on our journey of excellence as we seek to provide each student with life-changing opportunities to become impactful in our community and beyond.
mot.to (noun): a short sentence or phrase chosen as encapsulating the beliefs or ideals guiding an individual, family, or institution.
Verbum Dei Jesuit High School is a Catholic, Jesuit, Cristo Rey high school that offers young men from supportive families of limited resources a college prep curriculum, corporate work experience, and faith formation that prepares them to graduate from college as men-with-and-for-others who serve their communities and pursue a more just and humane world for all.
Verbum Dei Jesuit High School will be the Jesuit Catholic college prep/corporate work experience school that is most successful at preparing young men of Los Angeles to graduate from college and lead Spirit-filled lives of purpose and meaning.
Jesuit education that is rooted in the Gospel and inspired by the example of Jesus to promote the full, integral development of students - physical, moral, intellectual, spiritual - so that they embrace challenges, are intellectually motivated, religious, loving, and committed to justice.
- Cooperation as the hallmark of a community where each person receives the attention, encouragement and support to succeed academically, personally and professionally; and where the common good takes precedence over the interests of any individual or group.
- Excellence of effort from students, faculty and staff in the classroom, on the job and in co-curricular activities.
- Generosity of spirit and self-sacrifice that reflects Jesus’ teaching that “...anything you did for one of my brothers or sisters, however humble, you did for me.”
- Inclusive community of students, parents, faculty, staff, board, donors, alumni, and corporate sponsors that welcomes diverse persons, perspectives, and experiences and respects the God-given dignity of every human being.
- Integrity evidenced by truthfulness, decency and consideration for others consistently reflected in work, study, activities, and life decisions.
- Resilience in the face of adversity and challenges.